Printing is an important activity that all people with laptops, desktops, smartphones, and tablets have to perform every once in a while. So, there are dozens of different guys out there to help each person pick the perfect printer that works with their device.
But what about those who use Chromebooks? Don’t these devices and their users require a printer as well? Yes, people who use Chromebooks need a printer too.
Unfortunately, Chromebook users cannot use any of these printer buying guides on the internet now. They need a special Chromebook printer buying guide. But these types of guides are far and few in between. So, people who own Chromebooks have a harder time finding the right printer that suits all of their printing needs.
But those problems stop here. This article will show you, a Chromebook user, how to choose a printer for your Chromebook.
It’s not difficult at all!
You must consider some factors and answer a few questions before hopping on Amazon or BestBuy to browse around. So, keep on reading and learn how to buy a printer for your Chromebook.
Like laptops, desktop, and tablet users, Chromebook users have to answer a few questions about their printing needs to choose a printer that is right for them.
What to consider when buying a Chromebook
Chromebooks are simplified laptops created by Google, so it should be easy to print whatever you need. You can print either by USB cable, but this is your only physical option. Chromebooks only support USB connections.
All Chromebook models are capable of printing over a Wi-Fi connection, so there is no need for you to have to hassle with cables and electrical plugs if you don’t want to. Just connect the printer to your Chromebook via Wi-Fi when you first set it up, and you will be good to go!
However, as of 2021, Chromebooks still do not support printing via Bluetooth, so you will not be able to use this extremely handy software for easy printing. Google should make all Chromebooks capable of printing via Bluetooth.
Here are a few important questions that must be answered:
- How much do I need to print, and what do I need to print? Do I need to print mostly text documents, or am I printing photos and art pieces? Should the printer be able to print on other types of paper, like cardstock, with ease?
- Do I just want a printer, or do I want a printer that also faxes, copies, and scans? The more features a printer has, the more expensive it will be. Or do I want to buy a printer and a scanner separately?
- What is my budget for a printer? Also, consider that the lower the budget, the less your printer will be capable of.
- How user-friendly do I need my printer to be?
- How much space do I have to dedicate to a printer?
All of these questions will help determine the type of features that you need your printer to have. After you have answered these questions, it is time to learn about the different features of a printer.
Features to consider
The following features are vital to picking the perfect one that will do everything you need it to do.
Inkjet vs. laser
Inkjet printers and laser printers are not the same, as each type of printer has its own features and purpose of use.
Here are the main differences between an inkjet printer and a laser printer:
- Inkjet printers are usually the best choice if you need to print photos and art pieces with a lot of nuance and subtle changes in color.
- You will need a manual to figure out how to turn on an inkjet printer, but customization options will be endless.
- Because of their quality and the type of printing inkjets are made for, they tend to be very expensive.
- The ink cartridges are smaller than toner carriages, but they are on the expensive side in terms of volume.
- If you are looking to print hundreds of text and graphics pages, you will most likely need a laser printer. Plus, the toner will be cheaper than an inkjet printer’s ink.
- Laser printers are easier to use, but they will have fewer customization options.
- You can easily find a good quality laser print on a budget.
INK OR TONER
Depending on the type of printer you choose, each printer will have its own brand or model of ink or toner that it requires. But maintaining the proper ink or toner levels is not as easy as it should be.
When it comes to dyes, there are expensive dyes and cheap dyes. The price of inkjet printer ink starts at the price of good quality laser ink. Even if you buy a premium printer, the cost of ink can quickly rise higher than the price of the printer. The price of a laser printer’s toner is usually if you count the volume or amount of papers a laser printer can print.
Chromebook users may need to upload anything they want to print onto their printer’s cloud account before they can command the printer to print it. Some printers support cloud software while others don’t, so using the cloud is not mandatory if you don’t want to learn.
But for some people, uploading your print jobs to the cloud is easier than hassling with a faulty Wi-Fi connection, so consider it. Plus, the cloud will allow you to print when you are out of the house or away from the office.
What if you don’t have time to buy a printer and hook it up to your Chromebook? What if you need to print from your Chromebook from a regular printer? There are few ways a person can print from their Chromebook device.
Your first option is to email whatever you’re trying to print to someone who has a laptop so they can print it from their device.
The second option is to connect your Chromebook to the printer if it has a Chromebook option. However, this option might be difficult if you are not very tech-savvy and patient.
Surprisingly, choosing a printer for your Chromebook is almost exactly like choosing a printer for your desktop or laptop. The printer will either be inkjet or laser, have features like faxing and scanning, and the cost of ink or toner will have to be factored into the price.
If you are still having a hard time figuring out which printer to buy, visit a Chromebook forum or email the sales support at Chromebook Google and ask if they can provide some suggestions.